Saturday, July 14, 2018

Tubing in Belize Rain forest !

Hi scientists !
If you saw my last post , you saw I what I observed in Honduras ! Today I will tell you what we saw in Belize ! Belize is a country in Central America also with a beautiful  Caribbean coast in the east and rain forests and jungle in the west . We decided to go to the rain forest and take a trip down a river through some natural caves,
The rain forest was my favorite part . We hiked through the forest to get to the river caves. The plants were all so big and beautiful . We saw some monkeys in the trees but thankfully the jaguars are nocturnal so were not out! I ,of course was noticing all the great adaptations these plants have that help them survive in the shady rain forest ,
Vines everywhere ! 
Huge Palms !

The leaves were so big and so green ! 

 Then we took our tubes and put them in the river and entered the dark caves that the river had cut ( weathered and eroded ) out of the soft limestone rock over thousands of years . It was very dark so we all had head lamps on our helmets to shine on the cave interior. We saw stalagmites and stalactites . We say bats in some places hanging from the top . Remember they are nocturnal . The water was very clear and cold and shallow in some places and deep in other places.


The river water was very clear but only 60 degrees F.-"refreshing" ! 
I did not have my camera in the cave so I  can not show you how awesome this  wonder of nature is ! I was so glad I learned about weathering and erosion and land-forms so I could understand how these caves were made,. 

Science is Everywhere - Just look and think ! Be Observant ! 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment