Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A Nice Home for the Turtles

While taking a walk around our park near our house, I saw this pond and several little turtles like our lab turtles, Lupe and Pearl. I wondered if Lupe and Pearl, who have been in their lab home for 3 years now, would enjoy a trip out to the pond. Of course I could not exactly put them on a leash and let them take a swim and if I released them here I doubt they would swim back when I called!

So this summer we added a fountain in our backyard and made sure the turtles could enjoy a little freedom much like their natural habitat. Here is Lupe and Pearl swimming in their mini pond. Did you know a red-eared slider like Lupe can stay under water for 8 hours while sleeping and about 2 hours when awake? They worried me when they stayed under water for so long! Their bodies are adapted for the water though! Ours are not!
Can you tell which turtle is a model and which one is real?
 
 
Lupe and Pearl feel much safer camouflaged in the rock under the water.
They really like it if I put small fish in. Guess what happens to the fish?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment