Thursday, August 16, 2012

A New Lizard for the Lab Terrariums!

I have been watching two lizards that have made their habitat on my patio all summer. One an adult  and the other is more of a baby.  I was so glad to see them because last summer I could not find any of these lizards, I expect due to the drought. Therefore we had no lizards in the lab for the 1st part of the year. So today I decided I needed to catch the big lizard when I saw it and set up its special home in the lab.
I saw it climbing on the brick and quickly put my hand on it. It wiggled and turned to bite me and I found my hand was on its tail portion. I really did not want it to release its tail so I grabbed its head portion with the other hand and it retained its tail.It was not happy. I brought it to the terrarium with its mouth open wide to get me.As I looked closer it had a small drop of  blood on its tail. I guess it was ready to release its tail when I moved my hand away. I released  the lizard in his terrerium where it had everything it needed to live. I looked in several hours later and realized it had dropped its tail. I too it out and took pictures for you. See pictures and captions below.

Here is the lizard, notice the end of its tail is gone. This is the lizard's adaptation for protection.Most lizards will be able to run away while you are holding the tail.

Here the lizard is trying hard to bite me and make me drop him!
He does have a row of tiny teeth but they do not hurt.




















The lizard grabbed on to my finger and refused to let go!
I put my hand in his terrerrium and let him dangle. I thought he would let go but it took at least a minute before he finally gave me my finger back! He is a fiesty !
(right)The lizards tail


Look for this great lizard in the lab in his new home!



No comments:

Post a Comment