Thursday, July 5, 2012

Wow! Thats' a Cool Pet!

Last Monday, while enjoying the Reading Express at school, Ms. Gillingham stopped by. She was on the way to the veterinarian with her pet bearded dragon! She let me take a picture of it for you and shared some information about her unusual pet. I thought you would find it as interesting as I did.





"Bones"
Ms. Gillingham's Pet





This is Bones, she is about 9 years old! She likes to eat kale, corn and crickets. So that makes her an an omnivore, right? Ms. Gillingham said she will eat carrots and other greens but her natural habitat is the desert so her body is not adapted to eat vegetables like lettuce with high water content. They are not good for her. Ms. Gillingham keeps her in a very large terrarium with sand and climbing structures. She does not look very cuddly but actually likes to be held and petted. Ms. Gillingham was taking her to the veterinarian because she had an abscess and the Dr. will give her a shot to help make her better. She goes to a special Veterinarian for exotic animals. This is a Dr. for different kinds of pets including reptiles and birds.I guess all animals can get sick and need a Dr. sometimes, even snakes and turtles!
Would you like to grow up and become a veterinarian ? Would you like to have a bearded dragon?

I'm not sure my little dog would get along with Bones too good! But she is a very interesting pet and I would really enjoy having one! Let me know your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. When we (Bones and I) were at the veterinarian's office today, we saw 2 turtles and a cockatiel. I'm glad there are vets who specialize in unusual animals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing with us, Ms. Gillingham! I really hope she can come visit Eiland's students in the new school year!

    ReplyDelete