Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Ms. Brown Shares What She Observes!


Mrs. Lucadou,

I’ve enjoyed reading about your science adventures on your blog. I’ve seen some pretty cool species this summer, and I thought some of our students might like to see some pictures.

I saw this spider in Decatur, Texas at my friend’s house. It was outside on their patio. At first I thought it was a fake spider, but then it started to move! I was not a big fan of this fellow. He may look small in this photo, but you can tell that he is almost the size of the brick. I’m glad I don’t see spiders like this at my house. My friend said that it is not a poisonous spider, but I still didn’t want to get too close!





We also saw this nest of baby birds in Decatur. The mama bird had built the nest on the patio, on top of a stereo speaker, but she wouldn’t come feed the babies with all of us loud people sitting close to it. My friend carefully took the nest down, and we moved it to a nice new location in a nearby tree. The baby birds were so cute! I hope the mama found them and continued to take care of them!


 
This is just a box turtle that I found at my house. My daughters enjoyed watching him for a while, but he mostly hid in his shell when they were nearby. He eventually wandered off to find a nice place to settle in.



Look at this cool insect! It is a locust, and it is in the same family as a grasshopper. This guy was way bigger than any grasshopper I’ve ever seen. He was about 2 inches long. We saw him at Bear Creek Park, which is close to where I live.

I’ve been enjoying the sights of summer, except maybe with that big spider! I hope your summer is going well too!


Mrs. Brown




No comments:

Post a Comment